5224- PRECISION INSTRUMENT MAKERS AND REPAIRERS
PRECISION INSTRUMENT MAKERS AND REPAIRERS
Calibration engineer,Horologist,Instrument maker,Instrument mechanic,Instrument technician,Optical technician,Precision engineer,Watchmaker
Precision instrument makers and repairers make, calibrate, test and repair precision and optical instruments such as barometers, compasses, cameras, calibrators, watches, clocks and chronometers.
Some GCSEs/S grades qualifications may be required. Training is usually via an apprenticeship including work experience and practical and technical training leading to recognised awards.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings or specifications to determine appropriate methods, materials and sequence of operation;
- marks out and machines aluminium, brass, steel and plastics using machine tools such as grinders, lathes and shapers;
- tests watches and clocks for repair to diagnose faults and removes, repairs or replaces damaged and worn parts;
- tests completed timepiece for accuracy using electronic or other test equipment;
- carries out service tasks such as cleaning, oiling and regulating;
- checks prepared parts for accuracy using measuring equipment, assembles parts and adjusts as necessary using hand and machine tools;
- positions, aligns and secures optical lenses in mounts;
- tests, adjusts and repairs precision and optical instruments.