5223- METAL WORKING PRODUCTION AND MAINTENANCE FITTERS
METAL WORKING PRODUCTION AND MAINTENANCE FITTERS
Agricultural engineer,Bench fitter,Engineering machinist,Fabricator,Installation engineer,Maintenance fitter,Mechanical engineer
Metal working production and maintenance fitters erect, install and repair electrical and mechanical plant and industrial machinery, fit and assemble parts and sub-assemblies in the manufacture of metal products and test and adjust new motor vehicles and engines.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, a GNVQ/ GSVQ or a BTEC/SQA award. Apprenticeships in Engineering Maintenance at NVQ/SVQ Level 3 are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate methods and sequence of operations;
- fits and assembles parts and/or metal sub-assemblies to fine tolerances to make marine engines, prototype metal products, agricultural machinery and machine tools;
- fits and assembles, other than to fine tolerances, prepared parts and sub-assemblies to make motor vehicles, printing and agricultural machinery, orthopaedic appliances and other metal goods;
- examines operation of, and makes adjustments to, internal combustion engines and motor vehicles;
- erects, installs, repairs and services plant and industrial machinery, including railway stock, textile machines, coin operated machines, locks, sewing machines, bicycles and gas and oil appliances.
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Rail Car Repairers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Wind Turbine Service Technicians