5222- TOOL MAKERS, TOOL FITTERS AND MARKERS-OUT
TOOL MAKERS, TOOL FITTERS AND MARKERS-OUT
Die maker,Engineer-toolmaker,Jig maker,Marker-out (engineering),Tool fitter,Tool maker
Tool makers, tool fitters and markers-out mark out metal for machining and fit, assemble and repair machine and press tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other tools.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Engineering apprenticeships, BTEC and City and Guilds qualifications are available together with on-the-job training. NVQs/ SVQs at Level 2 are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate method and sequence of operations;
- marks out reference points using measuring instruments and tools such as punches, rules and squares;
- operates hand and machine tools to shape workpieces to specifications and checks accuracy of machining;
- assembles prepared parts, checks their alignment with micrometers, optical projectors and other measuring equipment and adjusts as necessary;
- repairs damaged or worn tools.