5214- METAL PLATE WORKERS, AND RIVETERS
METAL PLATE WORKERS, AND RIVETERS
Boiler maker,Metal plate worker,Plater,Plater-welder
Metal plate workers and riveters mark off, drill, shape, position, rivet and seal metal plates and girders to form structures and frameworks.
Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is usually via apprenticeship including practical experience and technical training. Apprenticeships in Engineering Materials Processing, Engineering Assembly and Engineering Construction are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications and uses rules, scribes and punches to mark out metal plate with guidelines and reference points;
- cuts metal plate to markings using hand or machine tools;
- uses machine tools to bend, curve, punch, drill and straighten metal plate as required;
- uses hydraulic jacks to position and align metal platework or frame for welding and bolting;
- selects suitable rivets and rivets together metal plates and girders;
- seals seams with caulking compound, smoothes welds, fixes metal doors, metal collars, portholes, tank and hatch covers and performs other metal plate finishing tasks using a variety of hand and power tools.