5213- SHEET METAL WORKERS
SHEET METAL WORKERS
Coppersmith,Panel beater (metal trades),Sheet metal fabricator,Sheet metal worker
Sheet metal workers mark out, cut, shape and join sheet metal using hand or machine tools to make and repair sheet metal products and components (excluding vehicle bodywork).
Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is usually via apprenticeship including practical experience and technical training. Apprenticeships in Engineering Materials Processing, Engineering Assembly and Engineering Construction are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements;
- uses template, measuring instruments and tools to mark out layout lines and reference points;
- uses hand or machine tools to bend, roll, fold, press or beat cut sheet metal;
- assembles prepared parts and joins them by bolting, welding or soldering;
- finishes product by grinding, filing, cleaning and polishing;
- repairs damaged metal parts such as copper sheets and tubes by beating, riveting, soldering, welding and fitting replacement parts;
- checks final product to ensure conformity with specifications.