5112- HORTICULTURAL TRADES
Grower,Horticulturalist (market gardening),Market Gardener,Nursery Assistant (agriculture),Nurseryman
Horticultural trades workers intensively cultivate vegetables, plants, fruit, shrubs, trees and flowers in greenhouses, market gardens, nurseries and orchards.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications from the Royal Horticultural Society are also available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.5
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- prepares soil in field, bed or pot by hand or machine;
- mixes soil, composts, fertilisers and/or organic matter and spreads fertiliser and manure;
- sows seeds and bulbs and transplants seedlings;
- propagates plants by taking cuttings and by grafting and budding, applies weed-killer, fungicide and insecticide to control pests and diseases;
- prunes and thins trees and shrubs;
- supports trees by staking and wiring.