Agricultural contractor,Agricultural technician,Crofter (farming),Farmer,Herd manager
Farmers and related occupations cultivate arable crops, fruits and trees, and raise cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry and other livestock for consumption.
No formal academic qualifications are required, but prior practical farming experience is normally needed. Training is typically received on-the-job and via a variety of vocational qualifications in agriculture, including NVQs/SVQs at Levels 1 to 4. Apprenticeships are also available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 9.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- feeds and waters animals, takes responsibility for livestock health and welfare, treats minor ailments and calls vet if necessary;
- plants, propagates, sprays, fertilises and harvests field crops;
- undertakes farm maintenance tasks such as fencing, hedging, cleaning and building maintenance;
- operates and maintains farm machinery such as combine harvesters, straw balers, milking machines and tractors;
- arranges for the sale of crops, livestock and other farm produce;
- maintains records of production, finance and breeding;
- ensures good environmental practice is observed in all tasks.