4213- SCHOOL SECRETARIES
Clerical assistant (schools),School administrator,School secretary,Secretary (schools)
School secretaries provide administrative support in schools by keeping and maintaining school records and performing a range of routine clerical tasks within the school.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants to professional secretarial courses typically require GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- sorts, files and otherwise deals with incoming and outgoing correspondence;
- types directly or transcribes letters, reports and other documents, and prints or photocopies documents as required;
- maintains administrative records relating to pupils and staff, and generates statistical and other reports;
- handles enquiries from parents and arranges meetings with members of staff;
- undertakes reception duties for visitors, handles face-to-face and telephone enquiries and passes on messages;
- orders equipment and stationery;
- arranges payment of invoices, handles cash.