4212- LEGAL SECRETARIES
Legal administrator,Legal clerk,Legal secretary,Secretary (legal services)
Legal secretaries file and maintain legal and other records, transcribe notes and dictation into typewritten form and perform other routine clerical tasks in legal practices.
There are no formal academic requirements, although employers may expect candidate to possess a legal secretarial qualification. Entrants to professional legal courses typically require GCSEs/ S grades or equivalent qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- types letters and legal documents such as wills and contracts;
- maintains court and clients? records, organises diaries and arranges appointments;
- answers enquiries and directs clients to appropriate experts;
- attends meetings and keeps records of proceedings;
- delivers and collects documents;
- sorts and files correspondence and carries out general clerical work.