4211- MEDICAL SECRETARIES
Clinic coordinator,Clinic administrator,Medical administrator,Medical secretary,Secretary (medical practice)
Medical secretaries deal with correspondence, make appointments and handle patients? queries; file and maintain medical and other records; transcribe notes and dictation; and perform other clerical tasks in hospitals/surgeries and other medical establishments.
Entrants require GCSEs/S grades or an Intermediate GNVQ/GSVQ Level II. To qualify as a medical secretary, entrants take a one-year full-time or two-year part-time diploma in medical secretarial studies. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- sorts and files correspondence and maintains diary of the person/s for whom he/she works;
- transcribes dictation into required format;
- maintains patients? records and arranges appointments;
- answers enquiries and refers patient to appropriate experts;
- organises and attends meetings and takes minutes of proceedings;
- books resources such as rooms and refreshments, and orders stationery and other supplies as appropriate.
Source Of Info: