4135- LIBRARY CLERKS AND ASSISTANTS
LIBRARY CLERKS AND ASSISTANTS
Information assistant (library),Learning resource assistant,Library assistant,Library clerk,Library supervisor
Library clerks and assistants classify, sort and file publications, documents, audio-visual and computerised material in libraries and offices.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades or A-Levels/H grades. Training is usually provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Information and Library Services are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- sorts, catalogues and maintains library records;
- locates and retrieves material on request for borrowers;
- issues library material and records date of issue/ due date for return;
- classifies, labels and indexes new books;
- performs simple repairs on old books.