4122- BOOK-KEEPERS, PAYROLL MANAGERS AND WAGES CLERKS
BOOK-KEEPERS, PAYROLL MANAGERS AND WAGES CLERKS
Accounts administrator,Accounts assistant,Accounts clerk,Auditor,Bookkeeper,Payroll clerk
Book-keepers, payroll managers and wages clerks maintain and balance records of financial transactions, oversee the operation of payroll functions and calculate hours worked, wages due and other relevant contributions and deductions.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or equivalent qualifications, and maths may be required. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available, and apprenticeships may be available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- records and checks accuracy of daily financial transactions;
- prepares provisional balances and reconciles these with appropriate accounts;
- supervises payroll team and develops payroll systems and procedures;
- calculates and records hours worked, wages due, deductions and voluntary contributions;
- processes holiday, sick and maternity pay and travel and subsistence expenses;
- compiles schedules and distributes or arranges distribution of wages and salaries;
- calculates costs and overheads and prepares analyses for management.