Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition;
- selects appropriate materials, medium and method;
- prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes;
- builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.;
- approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed;
- uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks;
- liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations;
- markets and sells finished work directly to customers;
- produces works on commission basis for clients.