3314- PRISON SERVICE OFFICERS (BELOW PRINCIPAL OFFICER)
PRISON SERVICE OFFICERS (BELOW PRINCIPAL OFFICER)
,Prison custodial officer,Prison escort officer,Prison officer,Prison warden
Prison service officers (below Principal Officer) direct, co-ordinate and participate in guarding inmates and maintaining discipline in prisons and other detention centres.
There are no formal academic requirements for entry but candidates must pass a pre-entry test and full medical examination. Basic training is followed by a 12 month probationary period during which further on-the-job training is provided. Background checks are required for entrants, and there are generally nationality restrictions and a lower age limit of 18 years.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- escorts prisoners to and from cells and supervises them during meals, recreation and visiting periods;
- watches for any infringements of regulations and searches prisoners and cells for weapons, drugs and other contraband items;
- guards entrances and perimeter walls;
- investigates disturbances or any other unusual occurrences;
- escorts prisoners transferred from one institution to another;
- runs prisoner rehabilitation and support programmes;
- provides care and support to prisoners in custody including prevention of self harm;
- trains and supervises prison staff;
- reports on prisoners? conduct as necessary.