3234- HOUSING OFFICERS
Housing adviser,Housing officer,Homeless prevention officer,Housing support officer
Housing officers assess and address housing needs of particular localities and individuals and oversee the day-to-day management of rented properties belonging to local authorities or housing associations.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant work experience. NVQs/SVQs in Housing are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4. Professional qualifications are available and may be required for some posts.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- Oversees the day-to-day running of rented properties including arranging for the signing of leases, rent collection and maintenance work;
- interviews prospective tenants and allocates properties to waiting list applicants;
- carries out regular inspections of properties to assess and ensure they are in a good state of repair
- ensures that special needs accommodation is suited to the needs of particular groups such as the elderly and disabled, and that statutory requirements for providing accommodation are met;
- refers tenants to appropriate sources of benefits and welfare;
- deals with payment of rents and arrears, arranges for legal action where necessary;
- supports tenants? groups;
- works closely with other agencies such as social services departments and welfare rights groups