3231- YOUTH AND COMMUNITY WORKERS
YOUTH AND COMMUNITY WORKERS
Community development officer,Youth and community worker,Youth project coordinator,Youth worker
Youth and community workers provide support to individuals or groups of individuals through a range of activities or services that aim to encourage participation in social and community life and promote personal and social development
There are no formal academic entry requirements though a minimum age for appointment between 18 and 21 normally applies. Most qualified youth workers possess an accredited diploma in higher education or postgraduate diploma in youth and community work. A majority of qualifying courses are for people aged over 21 years of age. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- organises social, recreational and educational activities in local community and youth groups
- undertakes the day-to-day running of community centres and supervises the activities of part-time and voluntary workers
- liaises and supports voluntary workers running groups in village halls, churches, mosques and other places of worship
- advises individuals with particular needs or problems through informal discussion, individual counselling or formal group discussion;
- helps set up credit unions, encourages parents to establish playgroups, works with other groups to find solutions to shared concerns or problems.