3216- DISPENSING OPTICIANS
Dispensing optician,Optical dispenser
Dispensing opticians supply, fit and service spectacles, contact lenses and other optical aids in accordance with a prescription from an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
Entry is most common with GCSEs/S grades or equivalent qualifications or experience, followed by up to three years training approved by the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO). Full-time, day-release or distance-learning options are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- interprets prescription and measures patient?s face to determine distance between pupil centres, height of bridge of nose, etc.;
- advises patient on lens type and choice of spectacle frames
- prepares detailed instructions for workshop
- ensures that completed spectacles conform to specification and fit the patient correctly and comfortably
- fits spectacles and advises patient on lens care and any other difficulties likely to be experienced