3132- IT USER SUPPORT TECHNICIANS
IT USER SUPPORT TECHNICIANS
Customer support analyst,Help desk operator,IT support technician,Systems support officer
IT user support technicians are responsible for providing technical support, advice and guidance for internal/external users of IT systems and applications, either directly or by telephone, e-mail or other network interaction.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades together with appropriate NVQ/SVQ (Levels 2, 3 or 4) or an equivalent vocational qualification. Some employers may demand a relevant degree. Training is provided off- and on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications and apprenticeships in some areas are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- provides technical support to IT users
- advises users on how to resolve hardware and software problems
- installs and upgrades hardware, cables, operating systems and/or appropriate software
- facilitates user access to systems
- refers more complex or intractable problems to appropriate IT professionals
- researches possible solutions in user guides, technical manuals and other documents
- maintains a log of work in progress, calls received, actions taken and problems detected;
- reports on commonly occurring queries to detect underlying problems.