3131- IT OPERATIONS TECHNICIANS
IT OPERATIONS TECHNICIANS
Computer games tester,Database administrator,IT technician,Network administrator,Systems administrator
IT operations technicians are responsible for the day-to-day running of IT systems and networks including the preparation of back-up systems, and for performing regular checks to ensure the smooth functioning of such systems.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades together with appropriate NVQ/SVQ (Levels 2, 3 or 4) or an equivalent vocational qualification. Some employers may demand a relevant degree. Training is provided off- and on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications and apprenticeships in some areas are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- administers, monitors and supports internal/external networks, servers, email, database and security systems
- configures and sets up new server systems;
- schedules and performs system maintenance tasks, such as loading user applications, programs and data
- analyses systems and makes recommendations to improve performance
- identifies problems, agrees remedial action and undertakes emergency maintenance if required;
- performs server backup and recovery operations and restarts systems following outages
- acts as a liaison between users, outside suppliers, and other technical teams