3121- ARCHITECTURAL AND TOWN PLANNING TECHNICIANS
ARCHITECTURAL AND TOWN PLANNING TECHNICIANS
Architectural assistant,Architectural technician,Construction planner,Planning enforcement officer
Architectural and town planning technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist architects and planners with the design of buildings and the layout of urban and rural areas.
Entrants possess a variety of qualifications including GCSEs/S grades, a BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III or a degree. Professional qualifications are available and membership to professional institutions may be required for some posts.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- investigates proposed design with regard to practicality, cost and use;
- prepares building plans, drawings and specifications for use by contractors
- liaises with engineers and building contractors regarding technical construction problems and attends site meetings on behalf of architect;
- surveys land and property uses and prepares report for planning authority;
- issues development permits as authorised;
- checks that completed work conforms to specifications.