3113- ENGINEERING TECHNICIANS
Aircraft technician,Commissioning engineer,Engineering technician,Manufacturing engineer,Mechanical technician
Engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
Entrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects;
- diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation;
- visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.