2214- OPHTHALMIC OPTICIANS
Ophthalmic opticians test patients? vision, diagnose defects and disorders and prescribe glasses or contact lenses as required.
Entrants require a degree in Optometry, must have passed the Professional Qualifying Examination of the General Optical Council, and have completed a pre-registration year. Advanced training in specialised areas is available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines eyes and tests vision of patient, identifies problems, defects, injuries and ill health;
- prescribes, supplies and fits appropriate spectacle lenses, contact lenses and other aids;
- advises patient on proper use of glasses, contact lenses and other aids, and on appropriate lighting conditions for reading and working;
- refers patient to a specialist, where necessary;
- carries out research with glass and lens manufacturers.