2141- CONSERVATION PROFESSIONALS
Conservation officer,Ecologist,Energy conservation officer,Heritage manager,Marine conservationist
Conservation professionals are responsible for ensuring that landscapes, habitats and species are protected and enhanced via appropriate management and conservation. They promote public understanding and awareness of the natural environment and help to develop and implement appropriate policies to achieve these objectives.
Entrants normally require a degree in a relevant subject, sometimes with a related postgraduate qualification. Entry is also possible with a relevant BTEC/SQA Award or HND. Prior practical work experience (which may be obtained on a voluntary basis) is needed for most posts. Additional on-the-job training is available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 4.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- promotes and implements local and national biodiversity action plans, particularly with regard to threatened species and habitats;
- carries out environmental impact assessments and field surveys;
- implements, evaluates and monitors schemes for the management and protection of natural habitats;
- provides advice and information to government at national and local levels, clients, landowners, planners and developers to facilitate the protection of the natural environment;
- liaises with other groups in the selection and maintenance of the Protected Site System including Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Ramsar sites, and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and National Nature Reserves (NNRs);
- maintains and develops knowledge in relevant policy areas within a national and European legislative context;
- promotes conservation issues via educational talks, displays, workshops and literature and liaison with the media;
- prepares applications for funding to other organisations, and assessing applications for funding from other organisations;
- carries out research into aspects of the natural world.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: