2136- PROGRAMMERS AND SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT PROFESSIONALS
PROGRAMMERS AND SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT PROFESSIONALS
Analyst-programmer,Database developer,Games programmer,Programmer,Software engineer
Programmers and software development professionals design, develop, test, implement and maintain software systems in order to meet the specifications and business objectives of the information system; they also design and develop specialist software e.g. for computer games.
Entrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 1.2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 3.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs;
- undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions;
- writes and codes individual programs according to specifications;
- develops user interfaces;
- tests and corrects software programs;
- writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development);
- implements and evaluates the software;
- plans and maintains database structures;
- writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.