2122- MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
Aeronautical engineer (professional),Aerospace engineer,Automotive engineer (professional),Marine engineer (professional),Mechanical engineer (professional),
Mechanical engineers undertake research and design, direct the manufacture and manage the operation and maintenance of engines, machines, aircraft, vehicle and ships? structures, building services and other mechanical items.
Mechanical engineers usually possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is attainable. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4, followed by periods of training and relevant experience.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 1.2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 3.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls;
- determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture;
- designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery;
- ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards;
- organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: