2111- CHEMICAL SCIENTISTS
Analytical chemist,Chemist,Development chemist,Industrial chemist,Research chemist
Chemical scientists analyse and research physical aspects of chemical structure and change within substances and develop chemical techniques used in the manufacture or modification of natural substances and processed products.
Entrants usually possess a degree. Entry may also be possible with an appropriate BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III, or other academic qualifications. Further specialist training is provided on the job. Some employers may expect entrants to gain professional qualifications.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 1.2
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 3.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems;
- conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials;
- analyses results and experimental data;
- tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions;
- develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.