1254- SHOPKEEPERS AND PROPRIETORS ? WHOLESALE AND RETAIL
SHOPKEEPERS AND PROPRIETORS ? WHOLESALE AND RETAIL
Antiques dealer,Fashion retailer,Newsagent,Shopkeeper
Shopkeepers and proprietors in this unit group co-ordinate, direct and undertake the activities in the running of small, independent retail and wholesale establishments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. A range of management and leadership courses in retail is available, in addition to NVQs/ SVQs in at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 8.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- defines the market position for the business, decides what to sell, forecasts demand and develops the brand image of the business;
- determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- oversees staff training, rotas and the allocation of work;
- provides information about merchandise to staff and customers and ensures customer complaints are appropriately dealt with;
- ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and orders new stock as required;
- maintains financial and other shop records and controls security arrangements for the premises;
- authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price and credit terms;
- examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.