1211- MANAGERS AND PROPRIETORS IN AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
MANAGERS AND PROPRIETORS IN AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
Farm manager,Farm owner,Nursery manager (horticulture)
Managers and proprietors in this unit group plan, organise and co-ordinate the activities and resources of farming establishments cultivating arable crops, fruits, trees and shrubs, and/or raising cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry. Managers and proprietors in horticulture oversee the production of plants for wholesale and/or retail.
Whilst no formal academic qualifications are required by proprietors in this area, most farm and horticultural managers have a vocational agricultural qualification (such as a BTEC/SQA award) and prior practical farming experience. Many farm and horticultural management jobs require a degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject. A small number of large farm and farm consultancy companies run graduate management training schemes. NVQs/SVQs in Agriculture are available at Level 4.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 9.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- determines financial, staffing and other short and long-term needs;
- produces and maintains records of production, finance and breeding;
- decides or advises on the types of crops and/or produce to be grown or livestock raised;
- plans intensity and sequence of farm or horticultural operations and orders seed, fertiliser, equipment and other supplies;
- markets and arranges for the sale of crops, livestock and other farm or horticultural produce.