Research, plan, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines, and other mechanical devices. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines.
Mechanical engineers conduct research; advise on, design, and direct production of machines, aircraft, ships, machinery and industrial plant, equipment and systems, advise on and direct their functioning, maintenance and repair, or study and advise on mechanical aspects of particular materials, products or processes. They plan, design and oversee the development, installation, operation and maintenance of machinery. They conduct research to solve practical engineering problems and improve efficiency.
Job activities and tasks include:
- advising on and designing machinery and tools for manufacturing, mining, construction, agricultural, and other industrial purposes
- advising on and designing steam, internal combustion and other non-electric motors and engines used for propulsion of railway locomotives, road vehicles or aircraft, or for driving industrial or other machinery
- advising on and designing: hulls, superstructures and propulsion systems of ships; mechanical plant and equipment for the release, control and utilization of energy; heating, ventilation and refrigeration systems, steering gear, pumps, and other mechanical equipment
- advising on and designing airframes, undercarriages and other equipment for aircraft as well as suspension systems, brakes, vehicle bodies and other components of road vehicles
- advising on and designing non-electrical parts of apparatus or products such as word processors, computers, precision instruments, cameras and projectors
- establishing control standards and procedures to ensure efficient functioning and safety of machines, machinery, tools, motors, engines, industrial plant, equipment, or systems
- ensuring that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards
Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Mechanical engineers frequently work closely with other professionals, at times pooling expertise on particular projects (e.g. with architects in designing air conditioning plants). Mechanical engineers may work in production plants, in offices and outdoors when involved in construction projects.
Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 - 7 years and above
Abu Dhabi Quality and Conformity Council, Atlas Telecom, ADNOC
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Aeronautical engineer - Marine architect - Marine engineer - Mechanical engineer
Examples of some related occupations:
Ship?s engineer - Manufacturing systems engineer - Aerospace engineer - Army officer - Engineering manager - Industrial designer - Industrial engineer - Manufacturer - Marine engineer - Marine surveyor - Materials scientist - Mechanical engineering associate - Mechanical engineering technologist - Naval architect - Patent examiner - Production manager (manufacturing) - Production or plant engineer
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi