Plan, direct, or coordinate research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities.
Education managers plan, direct, coordinate and evaluate the educational and administrative aspects of education services, primary and secondary schools, colleges and faculties, departments in universities, auxiliary activities and other educational institutions. The may also be responsible for a number of activities in the educational sector, ranging from the development of policy to the development and review of course curricula and teaching materials, as well they may have an advisory role, preparing reports, information papers and submissions, or advise senior management or interdepartmental committees on education strategies and initiatives or be involved in the management of educational systems at a regional, district or state level, and may have to manage financial and physical resources for education, or recruit educational officers.
Job activities and tasks include:
- determining educational programs based on frameworks established by education authorities and governing bodies
- implementing systems and procedures to monitor school performance and student enrolments
- directing administrative and clerical activities concerning student admissions and educational services
- controlling administrative operations such as budget planning, report preparation, expenditure on supplies, equipment and services
- providing leadership and guidance to teaching, academic and administrative staff as well as to students
- evaluating the work of teachers and lecturers by visiting classrooms, observing teaching methods, reviewing instructional objectives and examining learning materials
- promoting the educational program, and representing the service or institution in the wider community
- supervising the maintenance of educational facilities
- developing and enforcing a disciplinary code to create a safe and conducive environment for students and teachers
- organizing and implementing methods of raising additional funds in conjunction with parent and community groups and sponsors
- controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
Advanced specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
The working conditions of education managers may vary depending on the nature of their position. Regional/zone educational managers who coordinate the delivery of education in regional/zone or remote areas may have to travel, as may education managers who work at the federal level. Education managers who work within Emirate specific departments or educational institutions may not need to travel, as their focus may be on the management of education for a specific institution or zone.
Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Education, or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent
5 - 7 years and above
Abu Dhabi Education Council, Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Emirates College for Advanced Education, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTC)
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
College director - School Principal - Dean (university) - Head teacher
Examples of some related occupations:
Education manager - Dean - Registrar - Academic dean - Provost - Academic affairs vice president - College president - Admissions director - Dean of students - Financial aid director - Academic affairs dean - Principal - Assistant principal - Superintendent - Elementary principal - Primary/middle school principal - Secondary/high school principal - School superintendent - School administrator - Athletic director - Special education director