69-Social work associate professionals
Social work associate professionals
Assist in providing advice, advocacy and support to people with personal and social problems, and helping with community and social issues.
Social work associate or paraprofessionals assist in administering and implementing social assistance programs and community services and assist clients to deal with personal and social problems. Social workers are generally considered those who hold a professional or paraprofessional qualification in social work. In a number of countries and jurisdictions, registration or licensure of people working as social workers is required and there are mandated qualifications. In other places, professional associations set academic and experiential requirements for admission to membership. Includes Single Subject Design (SSD), Social systems and social change. The field of community practice social work encompasses community organizing, social planning, and human service management. Maybe required to be licensed, registered or certified to be permitted to work by a government authority, agency or approved certifying body.
Job activities and tasks include:
- collecting information relevant to clients? needs and assessing their relevant skills, strengths and deficits
- helping persons with disabilities or the elderly to obtain services and to improve their ability to function in society
- assisting clients to identify options and develop plans of action while providing necessary support and assistance
- assisting clients to identify and access community resources including legal, medical and financial assistance, housing, employment, transportation, assistance with moves, day care and other referral services
- counselling clients living in group homes and half-way houses, supervising their activities and assisting in pre-release and release planning
- participating in the selection and admission of clients to appropriate programs
- providing crisis intervention and emergency shelter services
- implementing life skills workshops, substance abuse treatment programs, behaviourmanagement programs, youth services programs and other community and social service programs under the supervision of social work or health care professionals
- assisting in evaluating the effectiveness of interventions and programs by monitoring and reporting on clients? progress
- maintaining contact with other social service agencies, schools and health care providers involved with clients to provide information and obtain feedback on clients? overall situation and progress
Specialist knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work and/or discipline
Usually work in institutes, foundations, schools, hospitals, homes, government agencies, not-for-profit organizations and in the community. They may also work in hospices, community and residential centres and the courts. Typically, they visit people in their locations, centres or homes. In regional areas they may travel long distances. The work can often be very stressful, as they may deal with challenging and highly distressed patients or clients. In some instances may deal with people who face life-threatening situations, such as criminal activity or substance abuse. They can interact with doctors, nurses and hospice workers to provide the services needed. May be employed by hospitals to assist professional social workers. They may also be employed in private practice, research or teaching by relevant professional social work practices.
Diploma/Associate degree in social work or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent. In some instances may require individuals to work towards a Bachelor degree in social work, Masters in Social Work (MSW) or Doctoral degree (Ph.D. or DSW).
Required Work Experience:
4 - 6 Years and above
Family Development Foundation, Khalifa Fund, Marriage Fund, Ministry of Social Affairs, federal or local hospitals or community health and support centres, Ministry of Social Affairs
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Community development worker - Community service worker - Crisis intervention worker - Disability services worker - Family services worker - Life skills instructor - Mental health support worker - Welfare support worker - Women?s shelter supervisor - Youth services worker
Examples of some related occupations:
Marriage counsellor - Parole officer - Probation officer - Social worker - Care and protection social worker - Clinical social worker - Community social worker - Cultural services social worker - Social services social worker - Youth justice social worker
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi