Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory policies, procedures and practices.
Medical secretaries, using specialized knowledge of medical terminology and health care delivery procedures, assist health professionals and other workers by performing a variety of communication, documentation, administrative and internal coordination functions, to support health workers in medical facilities and other health-care related organizations
Job activities and tasks include:
- scheduling and confirming medical appointments and communicating messages for medical staff and patients
- compiling, recording and reviewing medical charts, reports, documents and correspondence
- interviewing patients to complete forms, documents and case histories
- completing insurance and other claims forms
- maintaining medical files and records and technical library
- preparing financial statements and billing procedures
- assisting in the preparation of budgets, drafting of contracts and purchasing or acquisition orders
- supervising the work of office support workers and other office staff
Performing and coordinating a medical office?s administrative activities
Managers and professionals have assumed many tasks traditionally assigned to medical secretaries and medical administrative assistants, such as keyboarding and answering the telephone. Because they do less dictation and word processing, they now have time to support more members of the medical fraternity. In a number of organizations, medical secretaries and medical administrative assistants work in teams to work flexibly and share their expertise. Many provide training and orientation for new staff, conduct research on the Internet, and operate and troubleshoot new office technologies. Specific job duties vary with experience and titles; such as medical secretary, medical practice manager or medical office administrative assistant.
Diploma in medical secretaries and medical administrative assistants or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
2 - 3 years and above
SEHA, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, NMC Hospital
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Medical secretary - Medical practice manager - Medical office administrative assistant - Hospital ward secretary - Patient care secretary - Medical stenographer - Medical insurance assistant - Billing secretary - Pathology secretary - Medical transcriptionist - Medical stenographer
Examples of some related occupations:
Medical records technician - Medical assistant - Medical office receptionist - Secretary (general)