66-Environmental and occupational health inspectors and associates
Environmental and occupational health inspectors and associates
Conduct inspections and enforce adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals, as well, provide and promote advice and information. May be employed in the public or private sector.
Environmental and occupational health inspectors and associates investigate the implementation of rules and regulations relating to environmental factors that may affect human health, safety and environment in the workplace, and safety of processes for the production, distribution and sale of goods and services. They may implement and evaluate programs to restore or improve safety and sanitary conditions under the supervision of occupational health, safety and environment professionals and provide or promote advice or information to the social partners and the community on best practice health, safety and environment practices, procedures and requirements. They may conduct investigative incidents, accidents and complaints related to workplace issues and refer exceptional or important cases to relevant senior staff and/or legal departments. It includes assessing, advising, administering, supervising, reviewing or performing inspections, investigations primarily concerned with determining compliance or otherwise with laws and regulations. They may also conduct oral, written, visual, or performance testing and produce detailed technical compliance reports.
Job activities and tasks include:
- advising employers? and workers? representatives on the implementation of government and other rules and regulations concerning occupational safety and the working environment
- inspecting places of work to ensure that the working environment, machinery and equipment conform to government and other rules, regulations and standards related to sanitation and/or occupational and environmental health and safety
- giving advice on environmental sanitary problems and techniques
- inspecting places of work and, by interviews, observations and other means, obtaining information about work practices and accidents to determine compliance with safety rules and regulations
- inspecting areas of production, processing, transport, handling, storage and sale of products to ensure conformity with government and other rules, regulations and standards
- advising enterprises and the general public on the implementation of government and other rules and regulations concerning hygiene, sanitation, purity and grading of primary products, food, drugs, cosmetics and similar goods
- inspecting establishments to ensure that they conform to government and other rules and regulations concerning emission of pollutants and disposal of dangerous wastes initiating action to maintain or improve hygiene and prevent pollution of water, air, food or soil
- promoting preventive and corrective measures such as control of disease carrying organizms and of harmful substances in the air, hygienic food handling, proper disposal of waste and cleaning of public places
- estimating quantities and costs of materials and labour required for health, safety and sanitation remediation projects
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Usually work regular business hours, but may need to work evenings and weekends or be on call work. May need to visit sites and conduct investigations, inspections or examinations to affirm compliance with governing laws and regulations or otherwise relating to relevant laws and regulations. May from time to time be confronted by individuals disgruntled with decisions and need to respond effectively and calmly in difficult and sensitive situations. May also, travel overseas to develop knowledge base, or to attend conferences and seminars.
Diploma/Associate degree in occupational health, safety and environment or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 - 4 years and above
Environment Agency, ADNOC Group, International Fund for Houbara Conservation, Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Mubadala Oil and Gas
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Food sanitation and safety inspector - Health inspector - Occupational health and safety inspector - Sanitarian - Sanitary inspector
Examples of some related occupations:
Environmental health officer - Occupational health and safety adviser - Occupational hygienist - Radiation protection expert - Safety specialist - Safety consultant - Environmental health and safety manager - Loss control consultant - Loss control representative - Risk control consultant
- Occupational Health and Safety Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Transportation Inspectors
- Aviation Inspectors
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
- Freight and Cargo Inspectors