Supply, dispense, design, manufacture and research medicines and drugs in, or for, hospitals and community pharmacies, and advise on their appropriate use.
Pharmacists store, preserve, compound, and dispense medicinal products and counsel on the proper use and adverse effects of drugs and medicines following prescriptions issued by medical doctors and other health professionals. They conduct research into the formulation, production, storage, quality control and distribution of medicines and drugs. Also, they may contribute to researching, testing preparing, prescribing and monitoring medicinal therapies for optimizing human health. Industrial pharmacist tend to be involved in research and the development, manufacture, testing, analysis and marketing of pharmaceutical and medical products. They may also be required to be registered or licensed with a relevant government authority or agency.
Job activities and tasks include:
- receiving prescriptions for medicinal products from medical doctors and other health professionals, checking patients? medicine histories, and ensuring proper dosage and methods of administration and drug compatibility before dispensing
- preparing or supervising the preparation and labelling of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets and other medications to fill prescriptions
- providing information and advice to prescribers and clients regarding drug interactions, incompatibility and contra-indications, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage
- collaborating with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the medicine therapy of individual patients, and the effectiveness of particular drugs or therapies
- maintaining prescription files and recording issue of narcotics, poisons and habit-forming drugs in accordance with legal and professional requirements
- storing and preserving vaccines, serums and other drugs subject to deterioration
- advising clients on and supplying non-prescription medicines and diagnostic and therapeutic aids for common conditions
- supervising and coordinating the work of pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns and pharmacy sales assistants
- conducting research to develop and improve pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and related chemical products
- conferring with chemists, engineering professionals and other professionals about manufacturing techniques and ingredients
- testing and analyzing drugs to determine their identity, purity and strength in relation to specified standards
- evaluating labels, packaging and advertising of drug products
- developing information and risks of particular drugs
Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
The demand for prescription drugs caused by a demand in the size and aging of populations is growing. The work of pharmacists is changing as continued advancement occur in drug technology, science and distribution systems. More specialized, targeted and designer drugs will come available thus broadening the role and responsibilities of the Pharmacist from the traditional pharmacy setting. They are more likely to now be involved in on-line sales, insurance coverage and benefit agreements, out patient visits and aged care settings and so-on. Quality assurance checks of their work will expand and thus registration or licensure measures are likely to be strengthened by relevant government authority or agency to protect the public.
Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science, Pharmacy or related fields of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
7 - 10 Years and above.
Al Mafraq Hospital, Madinat Zayed Hospital, Tawam Hospital, Mubadala Health Care
Less than 5,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Dispensing chemist - Hospital pharmacist - Industrial pharmacist - Retail pharmacist
Examples of some related occupations:
Staff pharmacist - Clinical pharmacist - Pharmacist in charge (PIC) - Pharmacy manager - Registered pharmacist - Hospital pharmacist - Outpatient pharmacy manager - Pharmacy informaticist - Pharmacologist - Pharmaceutical technician - Community pharmacist - Hospital pharmacist - Industrial pharmacist - Consultant pharmacist - Government pharmacist
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi