Assess, plan, provide and evaluate preventative, curative and rehabilitative care for patients, clients and residents in a wide variety of settings. It includes developing and implementing care (nursing) plans, and maintaining medical records as well administering nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients.
Nursing professionals provide treatment, support and care services for people who are in need of nursing care due to the effects of ageing, injury, illness or other physical or mental impairment, or potential risks to health. They assume responsibility for the planning and management of the care of patients, including the supervision of other health care workers, working autonomously or in teams with medical doctors and others in the practical application of preventive and curative measures. Areas of specialist nursing practice include mental health nursing, aged care, cancer/oncology nursing, critical care, perioperative, community health, rural and remote area nursing, policy, research, management, education and workplace health and safety. They may be required to be licensed or registered by a Nursing Registration Board, agency or equivalent to be permitted to practise.
Job activities and tasks include:
- planning, providing and evaluating nursing care for patients according to the practice and standards of modern nursing
- coordinating the care of patients in consultation with other health professionals and members of health teams
- developing and implementing care plans for the biological, social, and psychological treatment of patients in collaboration with other health professionals
- planning and providing personal care, treatments and therapies including administering medications, and monitoring responses to treatment or care plan
- cleaning wounds and applying surgical dressings and bandages
- monitoring pain and discomfort experienced by patients and alleviating pain using a variety of therapies, including the use of pain-killing drugs
- planning and participating in health education programmes, health promotion and nurse education activities in clinical and community settings
- answering questions from patients and families and providing information about prevention of ill-health, treatment and care
- supervising and coordinating the work of other nursing, health and personal care workers
- conducting research on nursing practices and procedures and disseminating findings such as through scientific papers and reports
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Usually work according to a rotating seven-day roster which includes morning, afternoon and night shifts, weekends and public holidays. In other areas, the hours depend on the service. Licensing or registration is typically a prerequisite to employment.
Bachelor degree in nursing, paramedicine, or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 years and above
Khalifa Medical City, AL Rahba Hospital, Cornish Hospital, Mubadala Health Care
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Clinical nurse consultant - District nurse - Nurse anaesthetist - Nurse educator - Nurse practitioner - Operating theatre nurse - Professional nurse - Public health nurse - Specialist nurse
Examples of some related occupations:
Nurse researcher - Nurse practitioner - Nurse manager - Nurse educator - Practice nurse
Community health nurse - Mental health nurse - Nursing unit manager - Clinical nurse specialist - Professional midwife - Paramedical practitioner - Associate professional nurse Associate professional midwife - Nursing aide (hospital) - Registered nurse (RN) - Staff RN (Staff Registered Nurse) - Charge nurse - Operating room registered nurse (OR RN) Oncology RN (Oncology Registered Nurse) - Relief charge nurse - Cardiac Care Unit Nurse (CCU Nurse) - Certified nurse operating room (CNOR) - Coronary care unit nurse (CCU Nurse)
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi