55-Specialist medical practitioners
Specialist medical practitioners
Diagnose and treat physical and mental diseases and disorders using specialist testing, diagnostic, medical and surgical techniques.
Specialist medical practitioners (medical doctors) diagnose, treat and prevent illness, disease, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in humans, using specialized testing, diagnostic, medical, surgical, physical and psychiatric techniques, through application of the principles and procedures of modern medicine. They specialize in certain disease categories, types of patient or methods of treatment and may conduct medical education and research in their chosen areas of specialization. They practise in a range of special interest areas including anesthesiology, dermatology, gynecology and obstetrics, internal medicine, ophthalmology, paediatrics, pathology, psychiatry, radiology and surgery.
Job activities and tasks include:
- conducting physical examinations of patients and interviewing them and their families to determine their health status
- considering medical information provided by a referring doctor or other health care provider
- ordering specialized diagnostic tests to determine the nature of disorders or illnesses
- prescribing, administering and monitoring patients? responses to treatments, medications, anaesthetics, psychotherapies, physical rehabilitation programmes and other preventive and curative measures
- performing surgery of a general or specialized nature
- managing complications before, during and after childbirth
- recording patients? medical information and exchanging information with other health professionals to ensure the provision of comprehensive care
- reporting births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities to meet legal and professional requirements
- providing information to patients and families and communities about preventive measures, treatment and care for specific ailments
- performing autopsies to determine cause of death
- conducting research into specific human disorders and illnesses and preventive or curative methods and disseminating the findings such as through scientific reports
- planning and participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of specific diseases
Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Specialist medical practitioners sometime have to deal with unpleasant conditions due to a patient?s illness or injury. Deploying strict hygiene practices is critically important. Depending on their area of specialization may have to work long, demanding and irregular hours. This may include working on weekends and at night or being on call 24 hours a day. They are involved in a wide range of activities including consultations, attending emergencies, performing operations and arranging medical investigations. As well as caring for patients, medical practitioners work with many other health professionals, and may participate in, and undertake research. They may also be required to be registered or licensed with a relevant government authority or agency. Specialist Medical Practitioner typically require completion of supervised postgraduate training, administered by a relevant professional authority / body / agency and undertaken through an accredited facility, in a specific area of interest or equivalent and to be recognized as a competent performer. May require membership to a relevant professional body.
Post graduate degree in a relevant specialized field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
10 Years and above.
Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, Al Mafraq Hospital, Tawam Hospital, Mubadala Health Care
Less than 5,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Anaesthetist - Cardiologist - Emergency medicine specialist - Gynecologist - Obstetrician - OphthalMoLogist - Pediatrician - Pathologist - Preventive medicine specialist - Psychiatrist - Radiologist - Resident medical officer in specialist training - Specialist physician (internal medicine) - Surgeon
Examples of some related occupations:
Industrial medicine specialist - Occupational medicine specialist - Public health physician - Anthropologist - Cardiac technologist - Consultant physician - Life scientist - Medical imaging technologist - Natural therapist - Osteopath - Pathologist - Psychiatrist - Speech pathologist - Surgeon - Biomedical researcher - Dental practitioner - Dental surgeon - Oral and maxillofacial surgeon - Clinical psychologist - Epidemiologists
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi