54-Generalist medical practitioners
Generalist medical practitioners
Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population. May refer patients to specialists when needed for further diagnosis or treatment.
Generalist medical practitioners (including family and primary care doctors) diagnose, treat and prevent illness, disease, injury, and other physical and mental impairments and maintain general health in humans through application of the principles and procedures of modern medicine. It includes diagnosis of physical and mental illnesses, disorders and injuries, and prescribing medications and treatment to promote or restore good health. They do not limit their practice to certain disease categories or methods of treatment, and may assume responsibility for the provision of continuing and comprehensive medical care to individuals, families and communities.
Job activities and tasks include:
- conducting physical examinations of patients and interviewing them and their families to determine their health status
- ordering laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures and analyzing findings to determine the nature of disorders or illnesses
- providing continuing medical care for patients including prescribing, administering, counselling on and monitoring curative treatments and preventive measures
- performing surgery and other clinical procedures
- advising individuals, families and communities on health, nutrition and lifestyle which aid prevention or treatment of disease and disorders
- providing referrals to patients and families for specialized care in hospitals, rehabilitation centres or other types of health care centres
- identifying, managing and providing referrals for complications before, during and after childbirth
- recording patients? medical information and history and exchanging information with specialist practitioners and other health workers as required for continuing medical care
- reporting births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities to meet legal and professional requirements
- conducting research in human health and medical services and disseminating the findings such as through scientific reports
- planning and participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of common diseases
Advanced specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Medical practitioners sometimes have to deal with unpleasant conditions due to a patient?s illness or injury. Deploying strict hygiene practices is important. Depending on their area of specialization may have to work long, demanding and irregular hours. This may include working on weekends and at night or being on call 24 hours a day. They are involved in a wide range of activities including consultations, attending emergencies, performing operations and arranging medical investigations. As well as caring for patients, medical practitioners work with many other health professionals, and may participate in, and undertake research. They may also be required to be registered or licensed with a relevant government authority or agency. Generalist medical practitioners typically require completion of a university-level degree in basic medical education plus postgraduate clinical training or equivalent to be recognized as a competent performer. Included are medical interns who have completed their university education in basic medical education and are undertaking postgraduate clinical training.
Bachelor of Medical Science, Medicine or Surgery or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
7 - 10 Years and above.
Khalifa Hospital, AL Mafraq Hospital, Towam hospital
Less than 5,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
District medical doctor - therapist - Family medical practitioner - General practitioner (GP) - Medical doctor (general) - Medical officer (general) - Resident medical officer specializing in general practice - Physician (general) - Primary health care physician
Examples of some related occupations:
Specialist physician (internal medicine) - Surgeon - Psychiatrist - Clinical officer - Feldscher - Physician - Family physician - Family practice physician - Family practitioner - Family medicine physician - Medical staff physician - Board certified family physician - Family practice doctor
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi