51-Health services managers
Health services managers
Health services managers are responsible for the day-to-day running of a hospital, primary health organization (PHO), clinic or community health service.
Health service managers plan, direct coordinate and evaluate the provision of clinical and community Health care services in hospitals, clinics, public Health agencies and similar organizations.
Job activities and tasks include:
- providing overall direction and management for the service, facility, organization or centre
- directing, supervising and evaluating the work activities of medical, nursing, technical, clerical, service, maintenance, and other personnel
- establishing objectives and evaluative or operational criteria for units they manage
- directing or conducting recruitment, hiring and training of personnel
- developing, implementing and monitoring procedures, policies and performance standards for medical, nursing, technical and administrative staff
- monitoring the use of diagnostic services, inpatient beds, facilities, and staff to ensure effective use of resources and assess the need for additional staff, equipment, and service
- controlling administrative operations such as budget planning, report preparation and expenditure on supplies, equipment and services
- liaising with other health and welfare service providers, boards and funding bodies to coordinate the provision of services
- advising government bodies about measures to improve health and welfare services and facilities
- representing the organization in negotiations, and at conventions, seminars, public hearings and forums
Advanced specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Usually work at hospitals, large medical centres, community health service centres, clinics, respite centres and rest homes. The work can be stressful as health services manager are generally required to work to tight deadlines. They may travel locally, nationally or internationally to attend meetings and conferences, or visit other hospitals.
Bachelor degree in health services administration, or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
7 - 10 Years and above.
Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Health facility administrator - Chief public health officer - Clinical director - Community health care coordinator - Director of nursing - Hospital matron - Medical administrator
Examples of some related occupations:
Health and social service manager - Program manager - Clinical director - Director of nursing - Medical records manager - Mental health program manager - Nutrition services manager - Practice administrator - Health support manager - Review programme manager - Team Leader - Health professional - Project manager research partnerships - Regional heart health manager - Aged care service manager
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi