Move freight, stock, goods, products or other materials and perform other related general duties associated with freight handling.
Freight handlers carry out tasks such as packing, carrying, loading and unloading freight, stock, goods, products, items, furniture and household items, or other cargo, or loading and unloading ship, rail, vehicle and aircraft cargoes and other freight, or carrying and stacking goods and materials in various warehouses or storage facilities.
Job activities and tasks include:
- packing containers, office or household furniture, machines, appliances and related goods to be transported from one place to another including re-packing where damage occurs
- carrying goods to be loaded on or unloaded from vans, trucks, wagons, ships, or aircraft including loading and unloading such, using winches or other hoisting devices
- loading and unloading such items as grain, coal, sand, baggage, and other freight items by placing them on conveyor-belts, pipes, and other conveyances
- connecting hoses between main shore installation pipes and tanks of barges, tankers and other ships to load and unload petroleum, liquefied gases and other liquids
- carrying and stacking goods in warehouses and similar establishments
- sorting cargo prior to loading and unloading
- attaching identifying tags to containers or mark them with identifying information
- interpreting work orders or receiving oral instructions to determine work assignments or material or equipment needs
- recording or inputting numbers of units handled or moved, using daily production sheets or work tickets in proprietary and/or supply chain management information systems
- moving freight, stock, or other materials to and from storage or production areas, loading docks, delivery vehicles, ships, or containers, by hand or using trucks, tractors, or other equipment
- sorting cargo before loading and unloading
- assembling product containers or crates, using hand tools and pre-cut lumber/ composite/polythene/packing material
- connecting hoses and operating equipment to move liquid materials into and out of storage tanks on vessels
- using needed tools or supplies from storage or trucks and returning them after use
- working safely and according to requirements when handling and/or transporting hazardous or toxic materials and products
Knowledge of laws, regulations, standards and codes of the UAE and specific Emirates related to the logistics and transport sector, particularly freight handling and more general subjects including OHSE and cultural understanding and awareness
May work indoor, outdoor or a combination in conducting the activities. May involve working irregular hours including shift work to meet client requirements as well as working at a number of different locations, in sometimes differing weather conditions. The work maybe quiet demanding, physical and strenuous, and in some cases hot, noisy and dusty.
Secondary School Certificate, Certificate in freight handling operations or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
1 - 2 year and above
Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Emirates Airlines, Etihad Airways, Dnata
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Baggage handler - Freight handler - Warehouse porter
Examples of some related occupations:
Line tender - Loader - Material handler - Merchandise pickup / receiving associate - Operator, crane - Operator, truck/lifting - Receiving associate - Receiver - Shipping and receiving materials handler - Stock Replenisher