42-Plumbers and pipe fitters
Plumbers and pipe fitters
Assemble, install, or repair pipes, fittings, or fixtures of heating, water or gas, drainage or waste systems, according to specifications or plumbing codes.
Plumbers, pipe, gas fitters assemble, install, repair and maintain pipe systems, drains, gutters, ducts and related fittings and fixtures for water, gas, drainage, sewerage, heating cooling and ventilation systems, and for hydraulic and pneumatic equipment. Most people are familiar with plumbers who come to their home to unclog a drain or fix a leaking toilet. Plumbers, pipelayers, pipefitters, and steamfitters install, maintain, and repair many different types of pipe systems. Plumbers, pipe, gas fitters may be self?employed or employed by plumbing, piping, gas fitting contractors, utilities, operations and maintenance departments of various facilities.
Job activities and tasks include:
- examining and using blueprints drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing and ventilation systems and materials required
- measuring, cutting, threading, bending, jointing, assembling, installing, maintaining and repairing pipes, fittings and fixtures of drainage, heating, ventilation, water supply and sewerage systems
- installing gas fixtures, appliances, dishwashers and water heaters, sinks and toilets using hand and power tools
- laying clay, concrete, cast-iron, steel, non-metallic or plastic pipes in ditches to form sewers, drains or water mains, or for other purposes
- planning and preparing the installation, inspections, examinations, repairs, modifications, troubleshooting or testing activities of piping and gasfitting systems that include pipes, fittings and fixtures and associated devices
- establishing methods to meet work schedules and coordinate work activities with other bodies or trades and which includes requesting relevant materials and supplies
- installing, maintaining, modifying, troubleshooting, testing and repairing piping and gasfitting systems
- inspecting, examining and testing installed systems and pipes, using specialist equipment including pressure gauges, hydrostatic testing, observation or other methods
Knowledge of laws, regulations, standards and codes of the UAE and specific Emirates related to plumbing and gasfitting in the building and construction industry and more general subjects including OHSE and cultural understanding and awareness
Work in residential (homes), commercial and industrial buildings, schools, hospitals, and other buildings that are under construction, being altered or renovated.
Secondary School Certificate, Certificate in plumbing or gasfitting or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 - 4 years and above
Abu Dhabi Sewerage Services Company, National Drilling Company, Municipality of Abu Dhabi
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Pipe fitter - Pipe layer - Plumber - Drain technician
Examples of some related occupations:
Journeyman plumber - Drain technician - Plumber gasfitter - Gas fitter - Plumbing and heating mechanic - Residential plumber - Service plumber - Commercial plumber - Air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics - Steam fitter