Apply interior or exterior plaster, cement, stucco, or similar materials. May also set or namental plaster.
Plasterers install, maintain and repair plasterboard in buildings, and apply decorative and protective coverings of plaster, cement and similar material to the interiors and exteriors of structures. Work involves responsibility for performing skilled plastering work in accordance with building standards, regulations or codes; manufacturer requirements; and/or long standing ?custom and practice in the occupational trade?. Assignments are usually received orally, but may be written and accompanied by sketches or blue prints. Plasterers may be self?employed or employed by plastering contractors, utilities, operations and maintenance departments of various facilities.
Job activities and tasks include:
- applying one or more coats of plaster to interior walls and ceilings of buildings to produce finished surface using an array of tools and equipment including trowels, brushes, or spray guns
- measuring, marking and installing ornamental plaster panels, and casting and trimming ornamental plaster cornices
- mixing mortar and plaster to desired consistency or direct workers who perform mixing
- creating decorative textures in finish coat, using brushes or trowels, sand, pebbles, or stones
- applying insulation to building exteriors by installing prefabricated insulation systems over existing walls or by covering the outer wall with insulation board, reinforcing mesh, and a base coat
- curing freshly plastered surfaces
- measuring, marking and cutting plasterboard, lifting and positioning panels and securing them to walls, ceilings and battens
- covering joins and nail holes with wet plaster and sealing compounds, and smoothing them using wet brushes and sand paper
- applying protective and decorative covering of cement, plaster and similar materials to exterior building surfaces
- making and installing decorative plaster fixtures of fibrous plaster
- applying and finishing acoustic, insulating and fireproofing materials bonded with plaster, plastic cement and similar materials
Knowledge of laws, regulations, standards and codes of the UAE and specific Emirates related to plastering in the building and construction industry and more general subjects including OHSE and cultural understanding and awareness
Typically, work on-site - industrial, commercial or residential building or in a workshop location, and maybe very mobile going from job to job.
Secondary School Certificate, Certificate in plastering or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
2 - 3 year and above
Construction Companies, Al Habtoor Group, Al Hamid Group
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Plasterer - Ornamental plasterer - Stucco plasterer - Fibrous plasterer - Solid plasterer
Examples of some related occupations:
Brickmasons and block masons - Tile and marble setters - Drywall and ceiling tile installers - Tapers - Paperhangers (wall)