40-Carpenters and joiners
Carpenters and joiners
Construct, repair, restore, and install structural woodwork and related materials.
Carpenters and joiners cut, shape, assemble, erect, maintain and repair various types of structures and fittings made from wood and other materials. Carpenters typically work on-site building, repairing and installing structures such as foundations, walls, roofs, windows, stairways, and doors in large and small buildings. Joiners typically install cabinets, furniture, shelves, siding, drywall and batt or roll insulation. Also included are those such as brattice builders who build doors or brattices (ventilation walls or partitions) in underground passageways. Some may do both or all.
Job activities and tasks include:
- making, altering and repairing structural and other woodwork at a work-bench and on a construction site
- constructing, erecting and installing heavy-framed wooden structures on building sites
- fitting, assembling and altering internal and external fixtures of buildings, such as walls, doors, door and window frames, facings and panelling
- making, repairing and fitting scenic equipment for theatrical performances, motion picture or television productions
- constructing, assembling, altering and repairing wooden fixtures and fittings in train coaches, aircraft, ships, boats, floats, and other vehicles
Knowledge of laws, regulations, standards and codes of the UAE and specific Emirates related to the industry sector and more general subjects including OHSE and cultural understanding and awareness
Typically, work on-site - industrial, commercial or residential building or in a workshop location, and maybe very mobile going from job to job, and from building highways and bridges to installing kitchen cabinets, they may work both indoors and out.
Secondary School Certificate, Certificate in carpentry and joinery, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 - 4 years and above.
Tawazun, Mubadala, Arabtec Construction
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Carpenter - Finish Carpenter - Framer - Joiner - Shipwright (wood)
Examples of some related occupations:
Cabinet maker - Wheelwright - Building contractor - Construction carpenters