23-Mechanical engineering technicians
Mechanical engineering technicians
Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to install, modify, develop, test, calibrate or solve problems in machinery and equipment. Maybe undertaken in consultation with engineering professionals, physical scientists or other allied occupations.
Mechanical engineering technicians perform technical tasks to aid in mechanical engineering research, and in the design, manufacture, assembly, testing, commissioning, troubleshooting, construction, operation, maintenance and repair of machines, components and mechanical plant and equipment.
Job activities and tasks include:
- providing technical assistance in research on and development of machines and mechanical installations, facilities and components, or testing prototypes
- designing and preparing layouts of machines and mechanical installations, facilities and components according to the specifications given
- preparing detailed estimates of quantities and costs of materials and labour required for manufacture and installation according to the specifications given
- monitoring technical aspects of manufacture, utilization, maintenance and repair of machines and mechanical installations, facilities and components to ensure satisfactory performance and compliance with specifications and regulations
- developing and monitoring the implementation of safety standards and procedures for marine survey work in relation to ships? hulls, equipment and cargoes
- assembling and installing new and modified mechanical assemblies, components, machine tools and controls, and hydraulic power systems
- conducting tests of mechanical systems, collecting and analyzing data, and assembling and installing mechanical assemblies in support of mechanical engineers
- ensuring that mechanical engineering designs and finished work are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions
Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
Usually work regular hours, but may have to work weekends, shift work or be on call work. They work in commercial or industrial establishments and sometimes work in teams or individually. May involve work on new, part or old systems, equipment and components in hot, dusty, isolated or remote locations. It may require regular travel between various locations or sites to conduct work. There also may be occasions for extensive physical work to be performed.
Certificate or Diploma in mechanical engineering, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
3 - 4 years and above.
Masdar, Abu Dhabi Distribution Company, Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, Abu Dhabi Ports Company (ADPC), Etihad Rail, Atlas Telecom, Al Taif, ADNOC, TRANSCO, ADWEA, DEWA, Emirates Steel, EMAL, DUCAB, DUBAL, Mubadala Oil and Gas
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Aeronautics engineering technician - Marine engineering technician - Mechanical engineering technician - Mechanical engineering estimator
Examples of some related occupations:
Industrial machinery mechanic - Mechanical machinery assembler
Other training in technical areas may be obtained in the Armed Forces. Many military technical training programs are highly regarded by employers. Engineering technicians usually begin by performing routine duties under the close supervision of an experienced technician, technologist, engineer, or scientist. As they gain experience, they are given more difficult assignments with only general supervision. Some engineering technicians eventually become supervisors.
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi