21-Electrical engineering technicians
Electrical engineering technicians
Electrical engineering technicians (Electricians) plan, assemble, install, alter, repair, fault find, test, inspect, verify, commission, operate and maintain electrical systems.
Electrical engineering technicians (Electricians) perform technical tasks to aid in electrical engineering research, and in the design, manufacture, assembly, testing, commissioning, troubleshooting, construction, operation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment, facilities and distribution systems. Electrical systems provide heating, lighting, power, security, communication and control in residential, commercial, institutional, industrial and entertainment environments. Electricians may be self?employed or employed by electrical contractors, utilities, operations and maintenance departments of various facilities. Maybe required to be licensed, registered or certified to be permitted to work by a government authority, agency or approved certifying body.
Job activities and tasks include:
- providing technical assistance in research on and development of electrical equipment and facilities, or testing prototypes
- designing and preparing blueprints of electrical installations and circuitry according to the specifications given
- preparing detailed estimates of quantities and costs of materials and labour required for manufacture and installation according to the specifications given
- monitoring technical aspects of the manufacture, installation, utilization, maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment to ensure satisfactory performance and compliance with specifications and regulations
- planning installation methods, checking completed installation for safety and controls or undertaking the initial running of the new electrical equipment or systems
- assembling, installing, testing, calibrating, modifying and repairing electrical equipment and installations to conform with regulations and safety requirements
Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
Usually work regular hours, but may have to work weekends, shift work or be on call work. They work in commercial, industrial and domestic environments and sometimes in teams or individually. May involve work on new, part or old systems, equipment and components in hot, dusty, isolated or remote locations. It may require regular travel between various locations or sites to conduct work. There also may be occasions for extensive physical work to be performed.
Certificate or Diploma in electrical installation and/or maintenance, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
3 - 4 years and above
Masdar, Abu Dhabi Distribution Company, Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, Abu Dhabi Ports Company (ADPC), Etihad Rail, Atlas Telecom, Al Taif, ADNOC, TRANSCO, ADWEA, DEWA, Emirates Steel, EMAL, DUCAB, DUBAL, Mubadala Oil and Gas
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Electrician - Electrical engineering technician - Electric power transmission engineering technician - Electrical installer - Electrical fitter mechanic
Examples of some related occupations:
Electronics engineering technician - Power production plant operator - Electrical mechanic - Cable Jointer - Electronics and communications technician - Lift electrician - Electrical lineworker
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi