20-Civil engineering technicians
Civil engineering technicians
Civil engineering technicians assist civil engineers plan, design and manage the construction of highways, bridges, utilities, and other major infrastructure projects. They also help with commercial, residential, and land development as well as coordinating maintenance and repair activities.
Civil engineering technicians perform technical tasks in civil engineering research, design, construction, operation, maintenance and repair of buildings and other structures, such as water supply and wastewater treatment systems, bridges, roads, dams and airports.
Job activities and tasks include:
- performing or assisting with field and laboratory tests of soils and construction materials
- providing technical assistance connected with the construction of buildings and other structures, and with surveys or the preparation of survey reports
- ensuring compliance with design specifications, relevant legislation and regulations, and maintenance of desired standards of materials and work
- applying technical knowledge of building and civil engineering principles and practices in order to identify and solve problems arising
- assisting with the preparation of detailed estimates of quantities and costs of materials and labour required for projects, according to the specifications given
- organizing maintenance and repairs
- inspecting buildings and structures during and after construction to ensure that they comply with building, grading, zoning and safety laws and approved plans, specifications and standards, as well as with other rules concerning quality and safety of buildings
- inspecting industrial plant, hotels, cinemas and other buildings and structures to detect fire hazards and advise on how they can be removed
- advising on the installation of fire detectors and sprinkler systems and the use of materials in the construction of buildings and means of transportation to reduce risk of fire and extent of damage and danger if fire occurs
Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
Work on a range of civil projects. Usually work regular business hours, but may need to work evenings and weekends, shift work or be on call and work from a construction site. It may involve hot, dusty and isolated or remote location work. May also, require regular travel between various locations or sites to conduct work.
Certificate or Diploma in civil engineering, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
3 - 4 years and above
Manazel , Souroh, Al Daar
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Building inspector - Clerk of Works - Civil engineering technician - Fire inspector - Geotechnical technician - Surveying technician
Examples of some related occupations:
Quantity Surveyor - Marine Surveyor - Fire investigator
Other training in technical areas may be obtained in the Armed Forces. Many military technical training programs are highly regarded by employers. Engineering technicians usually begin by performing routine duties under the close supervision of an experienced technician, technologist, engineer, or scientist. As they gain experience, they are given more difficult assignments with only general supervision. Some engineering technicians eventually become supervisors.
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi