18-Town and traffic planners
Town and traffic planners
Develop and implement plans and policies for the controlled use of urban and rural land and for traffic systems
Town and traffic planners develop and implement comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, counties, and metropolitan areas. They conduct research and provide advice on economic, environmental and social factors affecting land use and traffic flows. They also work on large-scale projects such as new suburbs, towns, industrial areas, commercial and retail developments, urban renewal projects and transportation links.
Job activities and tasks include:
- planning layout and coordinating development of urban areas
- compiling and analyzing data on economic, legal, political, cultural, demographic, sociological, physical and environmental factors affecting land use
- conferring with government authorities, communities and specialists in fields such as architecture, planning, social science the environment and the law
- devising and recommending use and development of land, and presenting narrative and graphic plans, programs and designs to groups and individuals
- advising governments, companies and communities on urban and regional planning issues and proposals
- reviewing and evaluating environmental impact reports
- planning and coordinating the development of land areas for parks, schools, institutions, airports, roadways and related projects, and for commercial, industrial and residential sites
- planning and advising on routing and control of road traffic and public transportation systems for efficiency and safety
Advanced specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Transport planners focus on issues which relate to the transport infrastructure. They may also specialize in a wide range of fields, including strategic planning, urban design, environmental impact assessment, residential planning, commercial and industrial planning, heritage planning, tourism planning and social planning. May require experience in: -- establishing guidelines and being responsible for the review and verification of all applications for subdivision and shore land zoning permits; advises applicants and planning board/authority of application status and compliance with ordinances; coordinates review with appropriate municipal departments; -- drafting planning ordinances, preparing departmental budget and representing the town on various regional planning agencies; -- making recommendations to planning board/authority for appropriate action or additional conditions to be imposed; -- collecting land use data for use in preparation of comprehensive plan and development of zoning regulations; -- attending planning board meetings; including preparation of appropriate notices and supporting documents and preparation and distribution of meeting minutes; -- preparing reports; including maintenance of records; process purchase orders and accounts payable, and monitor special project budgets; -- developing capital improvement projects for the town; including directing the implementation of the five-year capital plan and monitors its progress; -- preparing and drafting long range plans and other special projects as requested; -- assisting and providing technical assistance to various town committees and boards including the authorities, agencies and/or relevant committees; -- performing related work as required.
Bachelor degree in urban planning or engineering or relevant discipline, higher qualification or equivalent
5 years and a above.
Department of Transport, AL Sahraa Group, Mawaqif, Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Masdar
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Land Planner - Traffic planner - Urban Planner
Examples of some related occupations:
Building architect - Landscape architect - Architect - Civil engineer - Landscape architect - Quantity surveyor - Surveyor - Community development planner - Planning director - Neighbourhood planner - City planner - Community development director - Regional planner - Airport planner - Building, planning, and zoning director - Community planning and development representative