17-Product and garment designers
Product and garment designers
Combine artistic talent with research on product, materials or textiles use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
Product and garment designers design and develop products, materials or textiles for manufacture and prepare designs and specifications of products for mass, batch and one-off production. They are particularly interested in interested in pattern and surface decoration and opportunities to be creative and able to translate ideas into products. Industrial/product designers design a wide range of items, from everyday things like mobile phones to household appliances to cars, to larger things like industrial tools, equipment and machinery, as well as medical products.
Job activities and tasks include:
- determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by consulting with clients and stakeholders
- formulating design concepts for clothing, textiles, industrial, commercial and consumer products, and jewellery
- harmonizing aesthetic considerations with technical, functional, ecological and production requirements
- preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations, plans, samples and models to communicate design concepts
- negotiating design solutions with clients, management, and sales and manufacturing staff
- selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, production methods and finishes for manufacture
- detailing and documenting the selected design for production
- preparing and commissioning prototypes and samples
- supervising the preparation of patterns, programs and tooling, and the manufacturing process
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work within and alongside industries such as fashion, automotive, interior design and technical textiles. They may also work within a studio environment alongside other designers, or as freelance designers working with a customer base.
Diploma in applied design and technology, visual arts or relevant discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 years and a above
Al Tayer Group, AL Futtaim Group, Shalhoub Group
Less than 5,000
Examples of job titles:
Costume designer - Fashion designer - Industrial designer - Jewellery designer
Examples of some related occupations:
Engine designer - Building architect - Landscape architect - Interior designer - Apparel fashion designer - Clothing designer - Dance costume designer - Historic clothing and costume maker - Product engineer - Design engineer - Product designer - Mechanical designer - Product development engineer - Engineer - Product design engineer - Project engineer - Industrial textiles fabricator
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi