155-Veterinary technicians and assistants
Veterinary technicians and assistants
Carry out advisory, diagnostic, preventive and curative veterinary tasks, more limited in scope and complexity than those carried out by, and with the guidance of, veterinarians.
Veterinary technicians and assistants may perform controlled medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. They may be required to prepare vaccines and serums used for the prevention of diseases as well as prepare tissue samples, take samples of tissue, solids and fluids, and conduct laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. They may use a range of laboratory equipment, technologies instruments as well as defined mediums (such as chemicals), techniques and practices to conduct controlled tests in an endeavour to assist in determining causes and affects. Clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines. They may assist a veterinarian during surgery. In private practices may also be involved in the supervision of staff, and financial, administrative and technical resources of a veterinary practice, animal hospital or similar treatment facility. They may also care for animals under treatment and in temporary residence at veterinary facilities, perform routine procedures and assist veterinarians to perform procedures and operations. They may need to be registered or licensed with a relevant authority or agency.
Job activities and tasks include:
- advising communities and individuals on the treatment of animals and their diseases and injuries
- conducting examinations of animals to make diagnoses or refer more difficult cases to veterinarians when needed
- treating ill or injured animals, especially for common diseases and disorders
- cleaning and sterilising examination tables and instruments and preparing materials used in the examination and treatment of animals
- carrying out technical tasks connected with artificial insemination of animals
- getting animals ready for examination or treatment and restraining or holding them during treatment
- assisting veterinarians to administer anaesthetics and oxygen during treatment
- 640 placing animals in cages for recovery from operations and monitoring their condition
- producing radiographs, collecting samples, and performing other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems
- performing routine animal dental procedures and assisting veterinarians with animal dentistry
Specialist knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work and/or discipline
May work either indoors or outdoors depending on the location of their practice or employment. They may also work in a specialist field such as camel racing or horse racing which requires unusual, long and irregular hours; especially those in private practice who may be called upon to treat sick animals at any hour of the day or night. May work as part of a team in veterinary consulting rooms, surgeries and hospitals.
Diploma/Associate degree in veterinary nursing, veterinary assistant or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
3 - 4 years and above.
Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority, Abu Dhabi Farmers Services Centre, Environment Agency
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Artificial inseminator - Veterinary assistant - Veterinary nurse - Veterinary vaccinator
Examples of some related occupations:
Veterinarian - Animal attendant - Veterinary aide - Veterinary technician (Vet Tech) - Veterinary assistant - Veterinarian technician - Internal medicine veterinary technician - Medical technologist - Emergency veterinary technician - Animal nurse - Rural animal technician - Veterinary assistant - Veterinary technologist - Veterinary assistant (Vet Assistant) - Veterinary technician (Vet Tech) - Veterinary assistant (VA) - Veterinarian assistant - Groomer - Animal caregiver - Animal care provider
UAE Industry Groups:
Agriculture, fishery and livestock
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi