Research, investigate, interview, observe, interpret and communicate news and public affairs stories through newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets or electronic mediums.
Journalists research and write stories about events and topics of interest such as information on a specific subject, event, occurrence or person. They may write this information as a report for the press, radio and television, blog or other media mediums including the public relations division of a company or other organizations, institutions, clients and/or stakeholders. These may be published or represented in a variety of forms, styles and types in newspapers, magazines or on websites, or are presented on the radio or television and other related mediums such as Twitter, Facebook, Ims, blogs.
Job activities and tasks include:
- collecting local, national and international news through interviews, investigation and observation, attending public events, seeking out records, reviewing written work, attending film and stage performances
- collecting, reporting and commenting on news and current affairs for publication in newspapers and periodicals, or for broadcasting by radio, television or webcast media
- receiving, analyzing and verifying news and other copy for accuracy
- interviewing politicians and other public figures at press conferences and on other occasions, including individual interviews recorded for radio, television or webcast media
- researching and reporting on developments in specialized fields such as medicine, science and technology
- writing editorials and commentaries on topics of current interest to stimulate public interest and express the views of a publication or broadcasting station
- writing critical reviews of literary, musical and other artistic works based on knowledge, judgement and experience for newspapers, television, radio and other media
- selecting material for publication, checking style, grammar, accuracy and legality of content and arranging for any necessary revisions
- liaising with production staff in checking final proof copies immediately prior to printing
- selecting, assembling and preparing publicity material about business or other organizations for issue through press, radio, television and other media.
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work almost anywhere, with most working in newspaper offices as well as at specific media organization premises, home, specific mood settings, and in many instances on their own, for long periods. They may also work long hours to finish articles, stories or the product to meet deadlines or complete the flow of creativity and thinking, They may travel locally, nationally or internationally to visit or meet clients or review or research scenes, settings, locations or information. They may also attend conferences and seminars. Initially most reporters are expected to be ?generalists? who are able to cover almost any topic of interest. Initially most reporters are expected to start as ?generalists? and be able to cover almost any topic of interest and with experience and further training be assigned an area of specialization.
Advanced/Higher Diploma in journalism or media and communication or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 years and above.
Etihad Newspaper, Hamaleel Newspaper, Abu Dhabi Media Company
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Journalist - Copy editor - Newspaper editor - Newspaper reporter - Sports writer - Sub editor - TV / radio news reporter.
Examples of some related occupations:
Public relations officer - Reporter - Anchor - News reporter - General assignment reporter - Television news anchor (TV news anchor) - Television reporter (TV reporter) - Staff writer - Sports reporter - News director - Feature writer - Roundsperson - News reporter - Leader writer - Book author - Book editor - Photo journalist - Camera operator - Copywriter
UAE Industry Groups:
Arts, entertainment, multimedia and ITC applications
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi