138-Authors and related writers
Authors and related writers
Conceptualise and write stories, scripts, poems and plays for publication or production, to entertain, educate and/or inform people.
Authors and related writers create, plan, research and write books, biographies, blogs, plays or film, radio and television scripts, storyboards, plays, essays, poetry, speeches, manuals, specifications, song lyrics and other non-journalistic articles (excluding material for newspapers, magazines and other periodicals) for publication or presentation. Often they require such persons to be imaginative and creative, produce original pieces of work, inquisitive, patient, adaptable, disciplined, persistent and importantly self-motivated to complete said work as per the original goal.
Job activities and tasks include:
- conceiving, writing and editing written works such as novels, plays, scripts, prose, poetry, song lyrics and other material for publication or presentation
- conducting research to establish factual content and to obtain other necessary information
- writing scripts and continuities and preparing programmes for stage, film, radio and television productions
- analyzing material, such as specifications, notes and drawings, and creating manuals, instructions for use, user guides and other documents to explain clearly and concisely the installation, operation and maintenance of software, electronic, mechanical and other equipment
- writing brochures, Handbooks and similar technical publications
- selecting material for publication, checking style, grammar and accuracy of content, arranging for any necessary revisions and checks proof copies before printing
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work almost anywhere, with most working in offices, libraries, homes, specific mood settings, and in many instances on their own, for long periods. They may also work long hours to finish sections, chapters or the product to meet deadlines or complete the flow of creativity and thinking, They may travel locally, nationally or internationally to visit or meet clients or review or research scenes, settings, locations or information. They may also attend conferences and seminars.
Diploma / Associate degree in creative writing or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 years and above.
Al Dhafra Magazine, Sharjah Media Corporation, Dubai Media City, TwoFour54, Hamaleel Newspaper, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTC)
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Author - Book editor - Essayist - Interactive media writer - Novelist - Playwright - Poet - Script writer - Speech writer - Technical communicator - Technical writer - Writer
Examples of some related occupations:
Freelance writer - Songwriter - Lyricist - Book reviewer - Creative writer - Documentary script writer - Freelance journalist - Librettist - Advertising copy writer - Public relations copy writer - Transcript typist - Journalist - Newspaper editor
UAE Industry Groups:
Arts, entertainment, multimedia and ITC applications
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi